The World Organization of the Scout Movement is the largest international Scouting organization. WOSM has 172 members. These members are recognized national Scout organizations, which collectively have over 50 million participants. WOSM was established in 1922, and has its operational headquarters at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and its legal seat in Geneva, Switzerland. It is the counterpart of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS).
The WOSM's current stated mission is "to contribute to the education of young people, through a value system based on the Scout Promise and Scout Law, to help build a better world where people are self-fulfilled as individuals and play a constructive role in society". WOSM is organized into regions and operates with a conference, committee and bureau.
- List of World of Scouting Members - Find scouting in your home country.
- BeAScout.org - (Boy Scouts of America) - most prominent member of world scouting with large national and international outreach. Join today.
Benefits of Scouting for Youth and Families:
Featuring age-appropriate appropriate Activities, Service, Crafts, Field Trips, & Outdoor Adventures. The Benefits of Scouting are many - increased faith, family recreation, physical health, citizenship and many other valuable life skill lessons.
- Learn Independence: Youth learn how to live independently. 
- Clean Air Exposure Lowers Health Risks USFS Study shows that prolonged exposure to clean air on outdoor camping trips increases your health levels. 
- Nature Appreciation Learning how to enjoy time spent in the outdoors will encourage youth to spend more time in clean air environments. 
- Mental Fitness Scouting activities include a great variety of problem solving activities. 
- Cardiovascular Exercise Common benefits of doing scout treks such as backpacking, cycling, etc. 
- Leadership Skills
- Increased Educational Opportunities in College - 17 colleges explained to Bryan on Scouting why Eagle scout candidates get preferential recognition during the college admissions process. David H. Smith, phd, wrote a whole book on this opportunity: Scouting your Way to the Best Colleges.
- Increased Employment Opportunities - Create an eye-catching resume for successful job hunting.
Adventures of Scouting
- Explore Scouting - 2020 Introduction Video #1
- About Scouting - 2020 Introduction Video #2
- Join Scouting - 2020 Introduction Video #3
- A Study of the Benefits of Scouting - Voice of Scouting
- Does Scouting Work - Tufts University Infographic.
- The Values of Scouting - Making kids better
"For over 100 years, Scouting programs have instilled in youth the values of the Scout Oath and Law. Today, these value are just as relevant in helping youth grow to their full potential as they were in 1910. Scouting helps youth develop academic skills, self-confidence, ethics, leadership skills and citizenship skills that influence their adult lives." (The Values of Scouting)
Values of Scouting
Founder of scouting, Robert Baden-Powell, made many remarkable observations about the benefits of scouting:
- "The open-air is the real objective of Scouting and the key to its success." - Nature is a great teacher, an inspiration, and a source of lifelong experiences. Afterall, "Scouting" is 75% "outing." One of the great parts of a week at camp is getting to spend a week living in the outdoors!
- "We must change boys from a 'what can I get' to a 'what can I give' attitude." - Scouting isn't just about earning badges and recognitions, Scouting strives to prepare youth to become a responsible, participating citizens and leaders who are guided by the values of Scout Oath and Law. You make a living by what you get, but you make a life by what you give.
- "Boys can see adventure in a dirty old duck puddle, and if the Scoutmaster is a boys’ man he can see it too." - Where an adult sees a dirty puddle, a rotting log, or an old cardboard box, a child sees an adventure... and a good Scoutmaster can see it too. Scout leaders should nurture creativity, playfulness, and sense of wonder in the world around us.
- "The real way to gain happiness is to give it to others." -
- "A boy is not a sitting-down animal." - Luckily Scouting is full of activities that allow Scouts to run, jump, hike, swim, climb, and play.
- This profile prepared by courtesy of Ghana Scouting Association. Building a brighter future for our youth.